Charlie was awarded his Masters of Photography, M.Photog. in January, 2014 from the Professional Photographers of America (PPA). This degree is awarded for advanced education, superior photographic skills demonstrated through the PPA International Photographic Competition, and service to the photographic industry.
Certified Professional Photographer
In 2005 Charlie became a Certified Professional Photographer (CPP), making him one of less than 8% of all photographic professionals who have successfully completed and maintained the strict requirements.
The Professional Photographic Certification Commission (PPCC) is the world's leading certifying agency for imaging professionals. Certification requires applicants to pass a stringent and comprehensive written examination measuring technical expertise. It also requires submission of a portfolio of work to a panel of nationally renown judges for review. Once an applicant is awarded certification they must renew their credentials every three years by participating in continuing education programs and periodically submitting work for critical evaluation. This insures that Certified Professional Photographers maintain their expertise and continue to develop new skills and techniques. In addition, all Certified Professional Photographers must adhere to the Standards of Conduct for Certification.
Quite often we are asked why belong to professional associations. Honestly, we do it because it makes us better photographers. That means we create the best images that we can for you, our client. Each association offers ways to become better at what we do. Here are just some of the ways they make our photos better for you.
- Image Competition - Through image competition we get to see how our photography is viewed through the critical eyes of our peers. Since all of the associations offer image or print competitions, we have numerous opportunities to have a jury of our peers critique and judge our work. These critiques hold our work to the highest standards in the industry.
- Certification - The Professional Photographers of America offers a certification program that must be renewed every three years.
- Education - In the constantly changing world of photography, it's the professional organizations that offer best and most concise educational programs. From week long immersion classes to multi-day seminars, they are better than any online class. These classes are for professionals only and they offer comprehensive and advanced training in state-of-the-art techniques.
- Code of Ethics - Ethics is a very important part of our business. Being a part of an association that has an enforceable a code of ethics tells our clients that we will operate our business in an ethical manner and hold ourselves to a higher standard.
- Sharing of Ideas - Even though photography is a very competitive industry, it's through the professional associations that we meet and share ideas with each other. This sharing of ideas and knowledge can be helpful in providing better photography for our clients.
Professional Photographers of California
Professional Photographers of America
American Society of Photographers